Nancie G. Marzulla
Nancie G. Marzulla is a founding partner of Marzulla Law and is recognized as one of the leading federal takings lawyers in the country. She represents property owners, developers, water districts, Indian tribes, and business owners and others in litigating money damages claims in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, where she is Co-Chair of the Court of Federal Claims Chief Judge’s Advisory Council.
Marzulla Law is ranked as one of the nation’s “Best Law Firms,” and a “Tier One” environmental litigation firm by U.S. News and World Report. Nancie’s litigation practice concentrates on water rights, federal takings claims, and contract claims in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims. She also has extensive experience in handling matters involving property, water, environmental law, Indian tribal claims, development, and natural resources in trial courts, courts of appeal, and the Supreme Court. Nancie also represents clients in enforcement or permitting disputes with federal regulatory agencies.
Nancie served as an Attorney-Advisor and litigation attorney in the Civil Rights Division at the U.S. Department of Justice. Later, Nancie joined the law firm of Verner, Liipfert (now DLA Piper), where she litigated complex airline and other civil matters. In 1991, she founded Defenders of Property Rights, where she was involved in takings cases in the Supreme Court, federal courts of appeal, and trial courts. Nancie also worked at the International Labor Organization in Geneva, Switzerland doing comparative legal research.
Honors & Awards
- Golden Eagle Award—U.S. Court of Federal Claims (highest award)
- James Madison Award—Bar Association (Court of Federal Claims)
- Court of Federal Claims Bar Association’s Randolph W. Thrower Award
- C. Women’s Bar Association as the Environmental Lawyer of the Year
- Best Lawyers of America, Environmental Litigation
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Advisory Council to Chief Judge of the U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Past President of the U.S. Court of Federal Claims Bar Association
- Court of Federal Claims and Federal Circuit Bar Associations
- Madison Club, the Federalist Society
- American Bar Association
- International Network of Boutique Law Firms
- President, Board of Directors, Maryland Youth Ballet
- Washington Performing Arts Society
- Diploma, Advanced International Legal Studies, University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, Salzburg Campus
- J.D., University of Colorado School of Law, Boulder, Colorado
- M.P.A., University of Colorado
- B.A., University of Colorado
Publications & Presentations
Nancie has testified in Congress, before regulatory agencies, and in State legislatures on a variety of property (including intellectual property), water, and environmental matters. She has also authored articles on environmental and property rights for the ABA and other publications, and has been interviewed on radio and television. She is a regular speaker at programs sponsored by the U.S. Court of Federal Claims bar association, the Court of Federal Claim’s Judicial Conference, the ABA, and other CLE programs. She is coauthor of Property Rights: Understanding Government Takings and Environmental Regulation.
Following the devastating flooding of hundreds of privately owned properties in an area on the western edge of Houston, Buffalo Bayou, caused by...
At the height of the Covid pandemic, with its widespread lockdowns to prevent the spread of infection, the Center for Disease Control put in place a...
In 2015 Hahnenkamm, LLC agreed to sell a 39.25-acre tract of land overlooking Lake Tahoe in Nevada to the U.S. Forest Service for $5.03 million....